Are you seeking relationship happiness or help with your relationship issues?
- You might be in a marriage or other relationship that is conflictual and, no matter what you seem to try, arguments happen all too often. You both have a desire to know each other and be known and instead, you end up becoming more and more distant and alone. You often feel as though you could use a relationship coach.
- Are you in love and headed towards marriage but feel some relationship issues and life goals and visions should be addressed with counseling before marriage? Do you want to do all you can to avoid divorce counseling in the future?
- Have you experienced the end of a relationship or are in one that is ending and you can’t seem to manage all of the changes, emotions, and uncertainty on your own? When you think about what life after divorce might be like, it’s difficult. You may be wondering how to save your marriage, the benefits of seeking counseling before divorce, or how to get over divorce or the end of a family, friend, or work relationship.
- Do you have difficulty finding and sustaining meaningful relationships? You say to yourself I want a relationship, and find yourself alone. Sometimes it’s hard to even try to meet new people.
- Some relationships present special challenges. If you have been in a relationship where you have been controlled, restricted, or demeaned, or where there are other signs of emotional abuse, healing from emotional abuse is a journey you may not be able to take on your own.
As humans, we were created for connection. When we aren’t connected to others in meaningful ways, life is less fulfilling and more difficult.
Without the sense of fellowship with men of like mind, life would have seemed to me to be empty.
Given the complexity of relationships, it's a wonder they work at all.
Each partner enters the relationship with his or her own unique personality style, beliefs and attitudes, and the uniqueness may not seem to mesh as time goes on.
Distinct family of origin issues, various life experiences, and past wounds show up in relationships and create havoc. Each person has his or her separate expectations and needs that may be in opposition to the other person's needs.
Often this complexity and the inherent differences that each person brings into the relationship create either dissatisfaction or painful interactions.
We are here to help. Our experienced relationship counselors can help you understand and navigate your relationships so that they become more harmonious and fulfilling.
How relationship counseling can help.
At Memorial Counseling Center, our trained professionals provide a safe and caring environment to lead you through the process of changing your relationships and your life. Our goal is to get to know you and begin to understand your world – emotionally, behaviorally and cognitively. We will identify your strengths and successes and build on them. We want to understand your relationship history, the essence of your current lifestyle, any early experiences that are relevant to your relationships, and the current situations you are struggling with.
Our treatment is personalized to fit you and your circumstances. Each kind of relationship issue is treated in a unique way, and we will collaborate with you to find effective ways to help you reach your goals.
If you are working towards healing or improving a current marriage or other committed relationship, we’ll focus on the negative interactions that have created emotional distance and help you understand the deeper reasons for those interactions. Once understanding has improved, we can guide you towards a more positive and healthy connection. Other relationship issues will have their own unique treatment for change. We have different treatment perspectives for premarital counseling, couples counseling (focusing on committed couples relationships), premarital counseling overcoming toxic relationships, and sex therapy.
Our counselors have a wealth of knowledge about relationships and have been trained and educated in a variety of treatment modalities, including Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples and Gottman Relationship Therapy. We believe we can help you meet your goals.
Is relationship counseling worth my time and money?
You might question if relationship help from a counselor will be worthwhile. It’s true that relationships can be difficult to change. Relationships can involve toxic patterns of interactions that seem to take on a life of their own. Sometimes only one person in a relationship is willing to engage in counseling.
Our counselors understand not only the pain experienced in difficult relationships, but also how relationships impact other areas of life, including how you see and relate to yourself. Counseling can help you become aware of your emotional life, including how your emotions create certain reactions, as well as your interpersonal needs and the various patterns of relating to others that have become ineffective.
As you expand your self-awareness and learn to implement strategies for creating healthier, more authentic relationships, you’ll begin to see a shift in different areas of your life. We find that those couples or individuals who are motivated and commit to the process of discovery and growth create new paths for themselves either as couples or individually.
What’s the next step?
To make an appointment with one of our counselors, you can either call us at 713-463-5879, email us at email@example.com, or complete the Contact Us form on our Contact page. We’ll provide a free 15-minute consultation and determine which of our counselors will be the best fit for you.